One of the quintessential summer treats has to be s’mores. The chocolate and fluffy marshmallows are entirely irresistible and obviously the only way to enjoy this is cruelty-free! So, in the spirit of the season I decided to make this super easy variation of the typical s’more. I’ve seen these bars displayed in non-vegan restaurants and I wanted to make a home version that’s quick and delicious. There’s no need to freeze these bars, as they only require half and hour to an hour of refrigeration for the chocolate to settle. However, if you like gooey, melty chocolate you can enjoy them right away, or reheat them for a few seconds in the microwave after letting them set.
- 2 cups gluten-free oat flour (you can grind rolled oats in a food processor for this)
- 2/3 cup natural almond butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tbsp non-dairy milk
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 heaping cup vegan chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp vegan butter (use soy-free)
- 1 tbsp non-dairy milk
- pinch of salt
- as many vegan marshmallows as it takes to cover the top (I love the Dandies brand)
- Line a small baking dish or even cake pan with parchment paper (you can use a small pan for thicker bars) and preheat oven to 375 F
- In a bowl, mix the almond butter, milk, syrup and salt until well combined. Next, mix in the chia seeds. If you’re using rolled oats, use a food processor to grind them into a flour. Next, add the flour in and stir until they are combined.
- Scoop out this mixture into the baking dish and press the dough with your hands so it fills out the pan and has no holes or gaps. Place in the oven and bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove the pan and let it cool. Next, add the chocolate chips and vegan butter to a microwave safe bowl and heat until it is melted. The times may differ depending on your microwave but this worked for me: heat for 30 seconds, remove and stir. Heat again for 15 seconds, and remove and stir again. I repeated this for 15 more seconds and again for 10, then added the non-dairy milk and salt and stirred and it achieved a smooth texture. Do not overheat the chocolate by microwaving it until it looks smooth. When you takes it out some chocolate chips should be mostly intact and they will liquefy when you stir them.
- Pour the chocolate over the base and top with marshmallows. This part is based on preference but I recommend making sure the top is mostly covered. It’s not about being perfect but making it delicious for you.
- Next, you can refrigerate for half an hour to an hour, then slice and serve. Or you can just eat right away…